Sunday, October 25, 2015

Inny. Outy.

So I am about as stereotypical western as they come on my mind; Caucasian, male, brown hair, blue eyes, and I only speak English (hopefully only for the time being). While I expected to look physically very different from the Mozambiquen locals and they rarely spare any chance they get at letting me know that.  Pretty sure it's almost a universal mothers topic that they teach their children that it's not polite to stare, but what are the kids suppose to do when momma is doing the starring too.  Haha it's not something that bugs me at all.  It has been kinda of nice so far being the center of so much fascination and curiosity to so many people since for my entire life I've only been publicly seen as a basic white guy.  Even though all the girlies say, I'm pretty fly for a white guy.  

The children easily get the biggest kick out of the differences between us volunteers and them.  During my first day with my family.  My brothers must have told all their friends I was coming because we had quite the crowd for at our house while we were lounging and playing catch in the front yard.  When I would take a break from tossing the old pigskin around and sit on our front stoop the little tikes would all gather around me and begin to study me.  Their collectively biggest fascination had to be with hair difference, all body hair difference.  All the little guys must have ran their hands through my hair at least twice and the entire night when I'd turn to look at my little brother or take in the scenery I'd feel a lite touch of a hand stroking my leg or arm.  Just enough to feel the hairs without actually hitting my skin, like they were playing operation and if I was touched I'd buzz.  I let them get their fill of hands on operation because it wasn't like I was gonna be able to answer any of their most pressing questions. 

My most interesting difference though that was brought to my attention by my little brother Costa during my first night here.  So aside from all the awkward pointing, nodding, and hand sherades I had to use to communicate with my family then and the seemingly endless game for catch with the American football we played in the front yard, my little brother was just excited to be all over me all the time.  All night and even during dinner he was on my like a monkey in a tree.  Used to it though from years of chucking kids into the SJ River during SJJF summers.  Costa was at one point later in the night on top of my head and trying to get perched like a bird in a nest.  Sensing something bad about to come , I picked him up to move him to a more manageable height.  His shirt though had gotten tangled up and lifted above his stomach when doing so and it was at this moment I saw he had the largest outy (belly button) I had ever seen.  It was sticking out about an inch and half, I was fascinated and my eyes just happen to do a double take long enough for him to notice my curiosity.  Which must have led him to wonder why I found his button so interesting.  After being put down he immediately went for my shirt.  Lifting it up enough to see my button he was instantaneously AMAZED by my inny.  And I am not exaggerating how much he was blown away.  He quickly tried to jam his finger as deep as he could into my button acting like it was a door to Narnia because he was just giggling and smiling non stop while he examined me.  This new discovery was such a big deal that after pulling his hand out of my gut he immediately turned around and slapped my other brother, Pedro, in the face, who was sleeping.  Shouting at him to look at my lack of belly button. Pedro turned around, looked and was not nearly as impressed as Costa and mumbled what must have been him telling Costa he was crazy.  Though this didn't deter Costa in the least as he went right back to trying to jam more fingers and at one point a cell phone into my stomach.  I couldn't do much besides sit back enjoy the attention and laugh, and keep him from proding me in the gut with something too dangous.  

Was fun being someone's first anatomy experiment and since then we just point to each other's belly buttons and get a laugh out of it.

 Smiling just ain't cool. (Costa is on the far right)

 But they do love the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment