Monday, December 14, 2015

Breaking Radio Silence

Hey Fam, Friends, Peps, and Curious People,

So I want to apologize for the bit of radio silence that occurred over the past 2 1/2 months.  PC training in Namaacha was a bit more busy than I had intended and my devices to connect with the outside world didn't always work like I had hoped.  Figuring out this internet jist here has been a little tricky in itself too.  But now that I am at my 2 year site and have found this oasis in the desert of Tete that has wifi, I hope to stay more on top of this blog and in touch with you all.

So for a quick recap and update about what had happened in the past two ish months:

Late Sept:
-Arrived in Mozambique and started our stay here in a fancy hotel in Maputo, this was WAY nicer than anything I have experience since than here in Moz.
-Moved to Namaacha and met our Homestay families (Had one Mae and 2 brothers: Pedro and Costa)
    -First night was a real reality check: chicken feet for my first dinner and a bucket bath outside with no  roof.)
 
Oct:
- Training was in full swing
-Language training twice a day every day for two weeks
-Teacher training starts up during week 3 in what were called "Tech Hub" sessions
-We have a Halloween party for all of the homestay siblings and they loved it. (Super-hero, Hunter and a gangster lion.)
-Take our first language test and I am just under the threshold needed for passing
-We go on shadow visits to hang with some current volunteers and see what life is like for PCVs
   -I visit Cambine, Inhambane with a volunteer named Rebecca and we made some BOMB food that was a good break from the non-stop Peixe(fried fish) of my homestay dinners.
   -also started the visit with the weekend in Tofu Beach, which was BEAUTIFUL

Nov:
-After shadow visits we get our site placements, I was placed in Chitima, Tete
   -northwest part of the country and I have a roommate, his name is Drew Cool dude, cooks like a champ.
-I was in the intense language training to try and get me ready for model school.
-Don't quite get to the language level before model school.  But I still teach anyway.
    -we teach a couple classes at the local high school before school gets out
    -I taught 9th grade math, the topic was polyhedrons. I brought in objects from home for examples.  Was a big hit.
-After model school I am still grinding out language class for another two weeks. (Foreign is not my forte)
-For the final language test though I some how pass and am cleared to have enough skill to survive haha
   -although I do feel confident in my language to get around and not worried about living.

Dec:
-Have a homestay party with all the families and enjoy one last night in Namaacha and can dancing at Tinga's
-MOZ-25 swears in! At the Mozambique Ministry of Education headquarters in Maputo.
   -I don't want to brag but.... I think my swear in outfit killed it.  Real Mozambiquen-esq haha
-After swear-in we say good by to all the good friends we've made over training and we jet off to our respected regions of the country.
-After couple days in the central part of the country for supervisors conference, we truck it out to our site.
-Am now here at my site and really enjoying it.
   -and getting used to the crazy heat.

Hope that helps ya'll fill in some of the blanks about what the heck I've been up to for the past 2 1/2 months.




No comments:

Post a Comment